Faculty of Health
The Faculty of Health was established to create an environment that models and nurtures leadership qualities and excellence in tertiary education.
A number of programmes sit within the faculty ranging from Level Four Introductory through to Master's level which include:
Paramedic Health Science
The Faculty of Health offers areas of excellence in education in postgraduate study as the second largest provider of postgraduate nursing to in New Zealand. The faculty also prepares graduates for, and offers professional development for, a number of District Health Boards, both locally and nationally. All programmes are approved by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority and meet the requirements of their regulatory bodies, e.g. Nursing Council of New Zealand, Social Work Registration Board and Council of Ambulance Australasia.
- Leader in preparation of diverse health workforce for New Zealand
- Strong partnerships with regional district health boards and industry
- One of only two providers of paramedic education nationally
Paramedic programme is accredited by the Australasian Council of Ambulance Authorities
- One of only two tertiary providers contracted by Te Pou for graduate mental health nursing postgraduate education
- Second largest provider of postgraduate nursing education nationally
- Only national provider of education for Royal New Zealand Plunket Society
- National leader in simulation for nursing and paramedicine – recognised by Laerdal as a demonstration site
- Consistently highly commended in regulatory audits by Nursing Council and Social Work Registration Board for partnerships with industry and student support
- Finalist in Wellington Gold Awards for support to the region
Why choose Whitireia?
- The Faculty of Health has an excellent reputation for offering a friendly and supportive learning environment.
- We utilise a variety of teaching processes, which focus on discovery learning and active participation in workshops, lectures, tutorials and online activities.
- Supported clinical experiences which lead to a work-ready graduate.
- Whitireia has a vibrant student community that is rich in diversity.
Faculty of Health Staff
In 2013, Wikitoria Katene, the first building in the Porirua campus redevelopment plan, was completed and houses the Faculty of Health, administration, classrooms and conference facilities.
The new building provides state-of-the-art simulated clinical learning environments for our nursing and paramedic students. These simulation suites give students access to the latest technology and a learning environment that will be a point of difference between Whitireia and most other undergraduate providers.
Wikitoria Katene Building