NZ MSC Avalanche Stage 1 - Jointly administered by Whitireia Polytechnic and the New Zealand Mountain Safety Council. This is a nationally recognised training programme designed for people wanting to work or already working in an alpine environment - career opportunities include ski patrollers, mountain guides, ski area staff, heli-ski guides, outdoor leaders, teachers, search and rescue, backcountry travellers, police and the armed forces.
This residential avalanche course dates are 15 - 21 August 2016 and will take place at Levin Waiopehu Lodge, Whakapapa Skifield, Mt Ruapehu. It is aimed at people involved in professional or advanced recreational alpine activities. Staff deliver intensive and thorough training, fundamental skills to manage avalanche risk will be assessed.
At the completion of this course, students will have acquired the following skills:
- Improved decision making skills to minimise travel risk
- Recognise avalanche terrain and identify safe route selection
- Understand the formation and classification of avalanches
- Identify and record current weather conditions
- Identify and interpret snow crystals and structures
- Carry out snowpack analysis and record snow profiles
- Contribute to an avalanche search and rescue operation
- Improve personal safety awareness
To gain a place on this programme, students must be fully enrolled and paid two weeks prior to course commencement.
For more information contact Mark Cowley: phone 04 298 0205 ext 4223