Whitireia offers the only three year Automotive programme designed specifically for International students . It incorporates the unit standards required for awarding the NZQA Level 4 National Certificate in Motor Industry. The Certificate in Motor Industry (Automotive Electrical and Mechanical Engineering) is a qualification recognised by Immigration New Zealand and contributes points as a Skilled Migrant. The certificate covers the skills and knowledge required for working in the Automotive field and includes both industry specific skills and core generic skills.
Benefits of studying Automotive Engineering at Whitireia:
- Whitireia has a large International student body and the Whitireia International Team have proven support services
- the completed qualification will gain you points as a Skilled Migrant with Immigration New Zealand
- you will receive a nationally and internationally recognised qualification
- training has been developed by the industry for the industry — everything you learn will be relevant
- you will train alongside experienced and knowledgeable staff
- Immigration New Zealand allows students of this programme to obtain 20 hours of paid work, per week to support their living costs as part of their Student Visa
Class times are Monday to Friday 8.00 am- 3.00pm and follow the primary school holidays. This time is split between classroom-based theory and practical work and as well one day a week may be spent working with automotive workshops in the region. This gives time to put the skills and knowledge that you are gaining into practice. It also helps to develop your English language, your customer skills and allows you to put into practise the skills that you are learning in a real mechanic's workshops.
Entry IELTS 5.5 (no band lower than 5.0) or equivalent