This programme is designed to equip students with advanced English language skills in listening, speaking and writing.
Advanced English Language Skills consists of tutorials and exercises. Students should attend twenty-three hours per week. Attendance is compulsory and failure to attend may affect final grades.
There are two progress tests, one in week 4 and one in week 8, each worth 25% of the student’s final mark. There is a Level Test at the end of the term, worth 50% of the final mark.
By the completion of the programme, students will be able to:
- communicate using correct pronunciation, tonal quality, pauses and stress and correct grammar
- write at least 300 words in neat, legible handwriting with text organized appropriately
- sustain a conversation in English of 10 minutes duration
- read independently, interpreting purpose and meaning
- gain understanding from headings, text, pictures and diagrams
- achieve a standard equivalent to IELTS 5.5.
To be admitted to this level, students must:
- Pass Whitireia Community Polytechnic Placement Test Band 5 or an equivalent approved by the Programme Manager
- Possess English language skill to the level of IELTS 5.0