Elementary English Language Skills is designed to establish the foundations of English pronunciation, grammar, vocabulary and to help students employ the language in everyday communication.
This programme consists of tutorials and exercises. Students should attend twenty-three hours per week. Attendance is compulsory and failure to attend may affect final grades.
Speaking is assessed continuously throughout the programme. All forms of speaking are included, ranging from actual speaking activities (conversations, dialogues, etc.) to answering questions.
By the completion of the programme, students will be able to:
- Communicate effectively in the four communication modes
- Understand basic grammatical structures and use them correctly
- Achieve the standard equivalent to IELTS 3.5
To be admitted to this level, students must:
- Pass Whitireia Polytechnic Placement Test Band 1 or an equivalent approved by the Programme Manager
- Possess English language skill to the level of IELTS 3.0