This programme is designed to equip students with upper intermediate skills in English listening, speaking and writing.
Upper-Intermediate English Language Skills consists of tutorials and exercises. Students should attend twenty-three hours per week. Attendance is compulsory and failure to attend may affect final grades.
There are two progress tests, one in week 4 and one in week 8, each worth 25% of the student’s final mark. There is a Level Test at the end of the term, worth 50% of the final mark.
By the completion of the programme, students will be able to:
- communicate in the four communication modes at an elementary academic level.
- use grammar and sentence structure confidently.
- produce written texts of 150 – 200 words in the form of letters, essays etc.
- read text independently and competently.
- be familiar with IELTS strategies.
- achieve a standard equivalent to IELTS 5.0
To be admitted to this level, students must:
- Pass Whitireia Community Polytechnic Placement Test Band 3 or an equivalent approved by the Programme Manager
- Possess English language skill to the level of IELTS 4.0