The Diploma in Performing Arts (Dance) [specialisation in Circus] is led by acclaimed circus director Deborah Pope, with teachers from Cirque du Soleil, the Royal New Zealand Ballet and Guildhall. The programme incorporates intensive physical training in circus and dance with exciting performance training.
On successful completion of this two year diploma, students may apply to pathway into year three of the Bachelor of Creativity (Performing Arts) and create a body of work in their discipline.
Areas covered on this programme include:
- acrobatics: tumbling, handstands, partnerwork
- group work: adagio, aerial
- aerials: trapeze, aerial ring, rope
- performance: improvisation, acting, clown
- dance: ballet, contemporary, tap
- business skills: health and safety, rigging
- history of circus and basic anatomy
NCEA Level 2 or equivalent, plus evidence of performance skills/ability based on audition and interview
Proven equivalence to domestic entry requirements and IELTS 6.0 (no band lower than 5.5)