The Diploma in Performing Arts (Dance) [Specialisation Circus] is led by acclaimed circus director Deborah Pope, with teachers from Cirque du Soleil, the Royal New Zealand Ballet and Guildhall. The programme incorporates intensive physical training in circus and dance with exciting performance training.
On successful completion of this two year diploma, students may apply to pathway into year three of the Bachelor of Applied Arts (Performing Arts) and create a body of work in their discipline.
Areas covered on this programme include:
- acrobatics: tumbling, handstands, partnerwork
- group work: adagio, aerial
- aerials: trapeze, aerial ring, rope
- performance: improvisation, acting, clown
- dance: ballet, contemporary, tap
- business skills: health and safety, rigging
- history of circus and basic anatomy
In 2018 students will study at Te Kāhui Auaha in the centre of Wellington City. This custom built facility will bring performing arts together with other creative disciplines offered by Whitireia and WelTec.
NCEA Level 2 or equivalent, plus evidence of performance skills/ability based on audition and interview
Proven equivalence to domestic entry requirements and IELTS 6.0 (no band lower than 5.5)